Wednesday, 14 November 2012

A sick puppy


Oops. It has been quite a while since I last wrote. I knew I would be no good at this blog thing. Oh well.

There is nothing worse than having a sick pet.  Actually that is not true- there is nothing worse than a sick pet and being 4.5 hours from a vet! That is the situation we had here in the last few days. After 3 days of vomiting, refusing to eat or drink we knew that we had to bring him into Whitehorse to be checked out.

We decided that I would bring Pepper in and Mark would stay home with Carter.  On the way I quickly learned that there is one thing worse than having a sick dog that you have to drive 4.5 hours to the vet for. That is a sick dog with horrible gas that stinks up your car for 4.5hours. It was the longest trip of my life. I had the choice of chocking on the stench or opening the window and freezing my ass off. I decided on a mixture of both.

My poor puppy had to be kept in the animal hospital overnight because he needed an IV but he is doing much better now and seems to be almost back to himself.

After doing a bit of shopping, Pepper and I hit the road.  Being up north I expected to see a ton of wildlife while driving. It is an understatement to say that I have been disappointed that all I have seen so far is one tiny fox. That is until today. There were 2 huge beautiful caribou that I passed on the side of the road. I was desperate to get a picture but it wasn’t a safe spot to stop. I did slow down and got a really good look at them. It was pretty exciting for me.

About an hour further down the road I see something standing in the middle of the highway. I approach slowly and nearly die when I come across a WOLF. I was so excited I thought I was going to jump out of my skin. This time I do stop and I am staring at this beautiful creature, camera in hand, when I notice that the wolf has a collar. Now I don’t know much about wolves but I am pretty sure they don’t have owners. Turns out that my wolf was just some family’s pet dog- A huge disappointment I may add.

I think the biggest thing I am finding hard living in Ross River is getting used to being so far from the city. Drives into Whitehorse are exhausting. You run around the city trying to get stocked up on supplies and groceries to last you another month or so.  It is a far cry from running out to the store everyday like I was used to. More on that another day. 




No comments:

Post a Comment