Welcome to my blog about living in a small community in the
Yukon. I am writing this to keep my family and friends connected to our new
life here in Ross River. By no means am I great writer and if bad spelling and
grammar annoy you-leave now. You have been warned. J
For the past 3.5 years we have been living in Penticton, one
of the warmest, sunniest places in Canada. Although we loved it and thoroughly enjoyed
our time there we always knew that it was the first stop of our RCMP postings.
We had long talked about trying a limited duration post to see what it was
like. When we talked about this I was picturing a quaint little town on
Vancouver Island. It didn't quite work out that way.
We were offered a posting in Ross River, Yukon. Never heard
of it? Don’t worry-either had I. Ross River is about 4.5 hours north east of
Whitehorse. It has the huge population of about 340 people and a general store.
Needless to say, it is a far cry from Kanata (where I grew up). Once we decided
that we were going to take the posting I began to worry what my life was going
to be like there and if I was going to get eaten by a bear. I started learning
everything I could about bears. I may just be the most bear aware person in
Ross River. I dare a bear to come looking for me…actually maybe not-they can
stay far away from us.
I will say that
although Ross isn't the most desirable place to live in Canada it is a
beautiful place and so far I am happy here. We have only been here about 3
weeks so I am still getting used to the idea of living in such a small place.
No more coffee dates at Starbucks with friends, movie theatres shopping or
eating out. There are many things I will miss about living in a city but there
are many things I am gaining by living here-once I figure them out I will be
sure to let you know.
We are living in government owned housing which is turning
out to be an adventure of its own. More on that at a later date. Another HUGE change for me is our internet. We now have a cap on how much we are on the net. That may turn out to be a big problem. I do love surfing the web. I will say that I am shocked with the internet service here- I was expecting it to be much worse.
I am sure that over the next few months I will have many more stories to share and will try to keep this blog updated as much as I can.
Please do lots of blogging! I already want more info about your quaint little place of residence, and no interent? really Ross river? Come on. Guess you have to cut down your pintrest usage hey? Anyway can't wait to read more from you!!
ReplyDeleteMiss you /love you
Madiee
Hurray for blogging!
ReplyDelete:)